*According to Carol J Adams in “Living Among Meat-Eaters”, 2001*
- The vegan has adopted this lifestyle because of a driving personality trait of self-discipline.
- Therefore: Although their lifestyle is something to be admired, it is obviously something too hard for the average person to do.
- The vegan has adopted this lifestyle out of a driving force of self-denial. They are viewed as someone who wants to experience no joy, and wishes the same for others.
- Therefore: The real reason for why they want others to adopt the vegan lifestyle is because they want everyone to life a humourless, pleasureless life. Vegan food obviously cannot be as enjoyable as meat.
The Bambi Vegetarian
- The vegan has adopted this lifestyle out of an “irrational” (in comparison to society’s apathetic values) love for animals. Their emotion is misplaced and immature.
- Therefore: The real “grown-ups” eat meat, as that is the way life goes. Male-identified vegans are often put in this category and are assumed to be feminine, or gay, because of their “immature, woman-like” emotions. Within this logic exists sexist thoughts of veganism being more appropriate for women because they already have “out-of -control” feelings. (An example of how feminism and animal rights overlap)
- The vegan enjoys being weird and living in ways which alienate them from society. That is their true motivation.
- Therefore: Any “normal” person, who enjoys social interaction, could not possibly go vegan.
The Holier-Than-Thou Vegan
- The vegan is overly angry about the injustices inflicted upon nonhumans, the planet, and our own species. They believe that they are godlike and have the power to make others feel guilty.
- Therefore: Any guilt is a result of their attitude, not one’s own moral inconsistencies and so no lifestyle change need be made.
The Phobic Vegan
- The vegan lifestyle is about their weird food habits. Their motivation is shallow.
- Therefore: One does not need to analyse one’s own food habits since the issue rests with the vegan in question, and their food anxieties, nothing more.
Based on which type you (as a vegan) have been placed into, one can assess what main concern a meat-eater has about possibly adopting a vegan diet.
- The Ascetic/Puritan: The meat-eater fears her/his own suffering in regards to missing out on food pleasures.
- The Bambi Vegan: The meat-eater cares for animals themselves and does not wish to think about the suffering of nonhumans on factory farms. They do not wish to address this hypocrisy within themselves.
- The Holier-Than-Thou Vegan: The meat-eater is very uncomfortable with self-reflection and judgement.
- The Phobic Vegan: Reflects a culture of the over-pathologization of difference and non-conformity.
Now knowing this information, it may be easier to engage in a productive discussion with them!
Look, I’m glad ‘12 Years [A Slave]’ got made and it’s wonderful that people are seeing it and there is another view of what happened in America. But I’m not real sure why Steve McQueen wanted to tackle that particular sort of thing.
[‘Fruitvale Station’] explains things like the shooting of Trayvon Martin, the problems with stop and search, and is just more poignant. America is much more willing to acknowledge what happened in the past: ‘We freed the slaves! It’s all good!’ But to say: ‘We are still unnecessarily killing black men’ – let’s have a conversation about that.?
Samuel L. Jackson (via artyartyhadaparty)
I think in light of 12 Years a Slave winning the Oscar for Best Picture, this needs to be remembered. Because it is a very important point in terms of the palatability of 12 Years a Slave and why Fruitvale Station didn’t even get nominated when it has such acclaim outside of the Oscar world.
THANK YOU SAM JACKSON
Bev Jo (via marjchaos)
And then you’ll see that it’s really men who are the irrational and hyper-emotional ones (p.s., anger is an emotion and males with an entitlement complex excel at expressing it, especially towards women and girls who don’t or refuse to succumb to his bullshit).
there is a virus going around it blocks all your browser activities
it appears if you go on a link to a tumblr blog called ‘timetobecreative’
please be careful and don’t click this link!
SPREAD THIS LIKE A WILDFIRE PLEASE I BEG YOU
This is really important, I don’t know what it does to blogs outside of Germany but in our case it led us to a fake police website that urged us to pay money - if this happens to you don’t do it!
Please stay safe out there!